Today, Lasik Eye Surgery is the most common eye surgery procedure performed on a global scale. This advanced procedure is specially designed to treat hyperopia, myopia and astigmatism. Also known as laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, this non-invasive procedure offers immediate results with minimal risks.
In just 15-minutes for both eyes, Lasik can help patients gain improved vision. They can finally get rid of glasses or contact lenses and can see almost perfectly, not just during the day, but also during the night and while driving. Vision continues to improve after the procedure is completed and continues to improve until the cornea is properly focused.
How does LASIK Work?
This refractive surgery procedure involves using surgical instruments or lasers to reshape the cornea. The surgeon can also choose to create a flap in the cornea to enable the laser to focus right on the eye. This procedure aims to reshape the cornea to allow more natural light to enter the eye. Thus, the retina receives more light, which leads to better vision.
You can see the exact procedure explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5DZxQEemOM. Depending on your needs, the surgeon will either flatten the cornea if you are nearsighted or make the cornea steeper if you are farsighted.
For people with astigmatism, the lasers can correct the surface of the cornea and smooth it out, allowing it to have a uniform shape.
Benefits of LASIK Eye Surgery
This advanced procedure comes with several unique benefits to people who opt for it. Let’s take a closer look at the top 5 benefits of LASIK eye surgery:
- Long-term results: one of the biggest benefits of this surgery method is that it fixes your vision issues permanently. After the procedure, it only takes a few months for your eyes to adjust to the new amount of light they receive. After your cornea is fixed in place, you’ll get to enjoy permanent high-quality vision. However, you might need a follow-up surgery at a certain age, when the vision gets lower, especially during the night.
- Much better vision: you’ll be able to see much better after LASIK. According to the studies performed on people after LASIK, over 95% of them achieved a marvelous visual acuity of 20/40. 85% of those managed to get a flawless 20/20 vision acuity.
- No more lenses or eyeglasses: if you had enough of carrying your eyeglasses after you or you are tired of losing your contact lenses, then LASIK can be truly marvelous for you. You can finally go to the mall or hop into the car without having to worry that you left your glasses at home. Moreover, you can easily play your favorite sport, including soccer, without risking injuries from your eyewear.
- Fast results: while you can only correct your vision after years of wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses, LASIK allows you to enjoy results extremely fast. As a matter of fact, the entire procedure takes less than 15 minutes. The recovery period takes less than 24 hours, while the eye adjustment period is no longer than one month.
- No bandages or stitches: most other corrective eye surgeries come with excessive aftercare procedures that include stitches or bandages. However, with LASIK, you can recover without wearing any bandages. You can basically go to work and perform your daily tasks while your vision gets corrected by itself. This is a huge benefit, especially if you are a busy person with tons of activities on his or her hands.
Should you go for it?
Should you go for it? While it’s a personal decision for every person, this surgery considered to be very safe and improves the quality of life of the patients. Even though the cost of the procedure is quite high, you are saving a lot of money in the long run on glasses, contact lenses or medical consultations.
While LASIK comes with certain risks, which include temporary dry eyes, under or overcorrections, limited double vision or glare at night or corneal infections, know that very few people experience these complications. The vast majority of people experience a smooth process and gain a better vision within days.
Enjoy the multiple benefits of LASIK now and regain your flawless vision. Get fast results with no stitches or bandages whatsoever. Remove your eye glasses or contact lenses and benefit of long-term results. You will see amazing again for years to come.